NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. prosecutor said on Thursday the government may seek new charges against an Afghan-born man who has pleaded not guilty to plotting a bombing attack in the United States.
Prosecutors revealed their intentions in federal court during a hearing in the case of Najibullah Zazi, 24, who was indicted by a grand jury in September on a charge of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction.
Zazi, a former coffee vendor from New York who had moved to Colorado, is suspected of attempting to create and detonate a bomb in New York City on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Knox told the court it was likely there would be additional charges but was not more specific.
Zazi's defense attorney has cautioned against what he called a rush to judgment against Zazi, who prosecutors allege took a bomb-making course at an al Qaeda training camp in Pakistan, had bomb-making notes on his laptop, and acquired bomb-making materials similar to those used in the 2005 London attacks.
Authorities say they observed Zazi buy large quantities of acetone and hydrogen peroxide at beauty supply stores in Colorado. They said the Federal Bureau of Investigation has had under surveillance other suspects it believes may have helped Zazi, although so far none of them have been identified or charged.
Zazi's father and a New York imam also are charged with lying to federal investigators in the case.
(Reporting by Edith Honan; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Bill Trott)